Historic Preservation of College Hill

In 1959, the Providence City Plan Commission and Providence Preservation Society published a report, College Hill: A Demonstration Study of Historic Area Renewal, which served as a local and national model for preservation approaches. It also led to the creation of the College Hill Historic District, which included 500 buildings, many of which were or are now part of the Brown campus. In 1970, College Hill was recognized as a National Historic Landmark District.