Maddock Alumni Center

“Brown’s accomplishment in creating the Maddock Alumni Center should serve as a model of how to sympathetically ‘recycle’ a landmark building.”

–Citation from the Providence Preservation Society, 1977

Built in 1830 for Brown Professor William Giles Goddard, Class of 1812, and his wife Charlotte Ives Goddard, the imposing Federal-style residence stayed in the family until 1966, when it was given to Brown. After a series of renovations and restorations, the house is elegance defined, with intricately painted ceilings, hand-carved mahogany moldings, hand-painted wallpaper, pocket doors, parquet flooring, and John LaFarge stained glass windows.

In 1973, the house began a new chapter as the Alumni Center and renamed in honor of Paul L. Maddock, Class of 1933, who was the principal donor towards its restoration to its new purpose.  Today, the home serves as a "home away from home" for visiting alumni, as well as holding office and reception space.