In a letter to Anatomy and Surgery Professor Usher Parsons, President Wayland announced his intention to end the short-lived medical course. Wayland’s desire to improve discipline at the College drove his insistence that instructors live and work on campus, while his medical professors derived the largest part of their living from their own off-campus medical practices. Although the program suspension was intended to be temporary, a Department of Medical Sciences was not established until 1944, and the first full M.D. class would not graduate until 1975.
June 17, 1827